Keeping your senior family members safe this Christmas
With Christmas just around the corner, many of us will be planning to return home to spend some of the Christmas holidays with elderly parents, grandparents or family relatives.
Home Instead Senior Care is advising, over the holiday season, to keep an eye out for tell-tale signs that our elderly relatives may need more help around the home.
Danette Connolly, Director of Care at Home Instead Senior Care Waterford said “During the Christmas holidays, we tend to spend more time with our parents, grandparents or senior relatives so it is a good opportunity to make sure that they are looking after themselves properly, have sufficient food and heat and are safe in their homes.”
“Sometimes changes in health or well-being are particularly noticeable when visiting a relative after a long period of time, and it is advisable to assess these changes.”
The warning signs that indicate an ageing parent or relative may need more help at home include:
- Do they seem to be eating well or is food spoiling in the fridge?
- Have they stopped doing daily grooming rituals like taking a shower or fixing their hair?
- Is the house cold? Is there enough oil/heating fuel?
- Are they taking the right medications in the right doses at the right times?
- Does their car have new scratches or dents?
- Is post or newspapers piling up without being read?
- Are they using furniture, towel bars or shower curtains to pull themselves up to stand?
As you go home again over the festive period be aware of the things that may be changing for your senior relatives. Be ready to spot the signs, have those tough conversations and help them get the support they need to remain happy and safe in their own home as long as possible.
Home Instead Senior Care provides services to seniors in their own homes and is approved by the HSE. Its CAREGivers help clients maintain their independence by assisting them with activities of daily living such as personal care, meal preparation, laundry, shopping and light housekeeping.
To find out more about Home Instead Senior Care Waterford call 051 333966 or 058 75298 or visit www.homeinstead.ie