A Few After Marathon Tips
Thanks to Anthony Phelan of Advance Physio Waterford
Well done to all participants in this year’s Waterford Viking Marathon. First of all, congratulate yourself on your achievement on the day, but more importantly congratulate yourself on committing yourself to doing something that contributes to a healthy lifestyle. A continued commitment to a healthy lifestyle will serve you well for years to come.
3,000 people took part in glorious sunshine running the quarter, half and full marathon. Below is a great video that will show you exactly where the marathon brought you.
Many of you might be feeling a little stiff after the epic event so we asked local physio Anthony Phelan from Advance Physio Waterord to give a few tips to help in the recovery and rejuvenation.
Here is some post-run advice that you may find helpful in the days after the event – and it may help you make a better quality recovery:
- Remember to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- An Epsom salts bath will be well appreciated by your muscles.
- Allow yourself some extra sleep during your days after the event, because it will help you make a better quality recovery.
- Swimming is a good low-impact recovery activity, keeping your body active while avoiding the impact of running.
- Allow four weeks recovery before resuming any long distance running – not taking enough recovery time can lead to a higher incidence of injuries.
I hope you find this helpful – and well done again on your achievement J !
Advance Physio Waterford
The Cove Centre
Waterford X91 ANP5